Sunday, April 30, 2006

What to write when you have nothing to write

What do you write when your stomach is grinding out the words to "You're All Dried Up, You Never Had Anything Worthwhile to Say and Now Everybody Knows It"? What do you write when the cats are begging for attention, when your husband is wondering what the surly mood is all about, when the sun is shining outside and if you were a worthwhile human you'd just let it go, let it go and walk outside and take a look around?

What do you write when the soft spring air is moving in through the window, nudging up against you and whispering about a whole world just outside, about people in short sleeves walking at a Sunday pace through city streets, women swinging their hips in cotton dresses and men with toddlers riding high on their shoulders; a Chinese man on the train slipping one white foot out of his shoe, moving his hand over ropy veins and bunions; a boy with the sun shining off his perfect afro, bouncing lightly as he walks; a Japanese woman with her eyes focused just short of the paper in her lap, reading her own thoughts instead?

Maybe you close the computer and take a walk. Maybe today isn't the day for writing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. What do I write on days like that? Very little. Maybe a blog entry. Hmmm...sound familiar?

mysfit said...

actually, i always take a pen and paper with me on walks, just for kicks

Andam said...

On days like that, I say, "No more, please." I say, "It's time for my brain to take a vacation" and I suddenly discover there IS time to walk, to sit, to do nothing.

Come, sit in the sun with me, Billy. It's beautiful out here.

DeeM said...

Definitely couldn't have said it better myself. ~sigh~

Chemical Billy said...

monkeyboy, being a boy, can't resist the urge to fix things. Thanks monkey.

Caryn, you caught me!

Mysfit, if only I could fit pen and paper inside a molar, then maybe...

Bluemonkey, I'm there.

Thank you, Deem!